The summer months we get out of our routines. This includes our exercise routines! How can we keep our kids moving and take care of our own bodies on these long summer days? This episode we cover everything from eating to exercise with kids during the summer months.
Model the habits and disciplines you want your kids to follow. Here are a few ways you can do that over the summer:
- Work out even when you don’t feel like it.
- Eat a healthy breakfast as the kick-off meal of the day.
- Drink water (with a little flavor if it that helps).
- Take them with you when you exercise.
- Spend time outside.
- Set some sleep schedule expectations.
Talk to your kids about fitness and health:
- Focus on health not weight.
- Avoid sibling body comparisons.
- Emphasize the good things God made our body to do.
- Watch how you talk about your body in front of your kids.
- Focus on what you are creating from the inside out with healthy habits.
- Communicate gratitude.
Sneak in exercise with kids, summer version:
- Have your child invite a friend to the pool.
- Play yard games. Capture the flag.
- Create obstacle courses with timers.
- Host a Family Olympics.
Healthy eating over the summer:
- Have designated snack spots with approved snacks stocked.
- Create portions for snacks so kids get proper amounts and food is not wasted.
- Keep treats for special occasions set aside for those events.
- Maintain family meal times.
- Grow your own food.
- Find other rewards outside of food when possible for good behaviors.
Listen and watch the full episode here!
You can also find this episode on itunes on The Open Door Sisterhood podcast, Episode 5. Thanks for joining us!